Latina Lista has come out with its Top 10 New Latino Authors to Read. Here are the books that made its list.
- Xanath Caraza’s Conjuro explores the power of prose in her collection of poetry called Conjuro.
- Marta Moreno Vega, Marinieves Alba, and Yvette Modestin have created Women Warriors of the Afro-Latina Diaspora a study “that fills a huge void in Latino/a Studies. Consisting mostly of personal essays and a few poems, this is a must read for anyone who wants to get a complete picture of how Afro-Latinas have faced racism, inequality, violence, and sexism in countries that too often deny such issues even exist”.
- Not Myself Without You, a fictitious tale by Lourdes Vasquez about a “family that believes in the occult.”
- Eduardo C Corral makes his poetic debut with Slow Lightning. He was recently selected as the recipient of the 2011 Yale Series of Younger Poets award, a precious accolade that is well deserved.
- Bullying by Magdalena Gomez and Maria Luisa Arroyo “put together a unique and timely collection of essays, poetry, and plays on bullying. It’s anthology from which young ones, parents, and teachers could learn quite a bit on what motivates bullies and how to inspire those who are being bullied.”
- The House of Order is a collection of short stories by John Paul Jaramillo which follows the complex live of a variety of unorthodox characters.
- The Scoundrel and The Optimist is the debut “coming of age” novel by Maceo Montoya, brother of talented poet Andres Montoya.
- Derek Blass’ Allegiance: The Second Cruz Marquez Thriller “is the type of book that you’ll want to finish right away. The action will hook you and the twists are in just the right places. Call it crime, drama, mystery, but whatever the case, call it an entertaining, enjoyable ride.”
- Presumed Incompetent: The Interconnections of Race and Class for Women in Academia is “a collection that provides timely and eye-opening insight into the the lives of women of color in academia.”
- Xochiquetzal Candelaria’s Empire is a debut collection of beautifully crafted poetic pieces.
Read more about Latina Lista’s Top 10 reads.