Six days into the 2012 London Olympics Latinos are collecting their fair share of medals with aquatic events, held early in the Olympics, accounting for most of the early successes.
Fox News Latino has compiled the list below of the Latino medal winners. Two of the Latinos – Ryan Lochte and Danell Leyva – are from the United States. Colombia has scored two medals; Cuba one; Mexico four; Venezuela one; and, Brazil three.
- Cuban American Ryan Lochte has won two gold metals, two silvers and a bronze in swimming.
- Cuban Asley Gonzalez wins silver medal in judo.
- Mexican Aida Roman wins silver medal in archery.
- Colombian Rigoberto Uran wins silver medal in men’s road race.
- Colombian Oscar Figueroa Mosquera wins silver medal in weightlifting.
- The Mexican tandem of German Sánchez and Ivan García win silver medal in the men’s synchronized 10-meter platform diving event.
- Venezuelan fencer Ruben Limardo Gascon wins gold medal with a victory in the final of the men’s individual epee.
- Mexican Mariana Avitia wins bronze medal in archery.
- Brazilian Felipe Kitadai wins bronze medal in judo.
- Danell Leyva of Miami wins bronze medal for US Men’s Gymnastics.
- Mexicans Alejandra Orozco Loza and Paola Espinosa win silver medal for the Women’s Synchronized 10M Platform Diving.
- Colombian Yuri Alvear won the bronze medal in the Women’s -70 kg Judo.
- Sarah Menezes of Brazil won the gold medal in the Women’s -48 kg Judo on Day 1 of the London 2012 Olympic Games.
- Brazilian Thiago Pereira wins silver medal for the Men’s 400m Individual Medley.